Pentax QC - A wake up call?

Started May 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Pakhead
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?
Re: Pentax QC - A wake up call?
In reply to Donald B, May 31, 2012

I'm with you on this Sinan. I've had Pentax gear for 30 years, but am about to jump ship, solely because of QC issues. My 16-50 DA has just gone in for repair for the third time - the barrels have come very loose (they have jammed twice before, the first time right after purchase), the weather-sealing is stripping off the zoom-ring, the SDM has died again... it is falling apart so badly I do not expect it to be worth repairing, and it has been used pretty lightly.

My DA 50-135 is in because the SDM, always sticky from when I bought it, seems to be dying. Otherwise an excellent lens.

My DA 12-24 is in for repair because the front barrel now has around 2 mm play in it, and it no longer focusses accurately at infinity - that's after owning it 6 years, but using it very occasionally. No knocks, it looks like new.

But getting accurate focus on different Pentax bodies has been a headache, and I find my eyes cannot manage manual focus accurately, even on the K5.

I am also finding the reliability of focus - and, so far, the QC on lenses - in Panasonic M43 kit a relief. It's a shame - I still love Pentax design and colour, and the quality of DA limiteds, FA, A, M and K lenses.
--
Pakhead

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow