Started May 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Fugl
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
LX5 OOC jpeg vs. RAW converted in LR 4 - why I switched to RAW
May 31, 2012

Just wanted to share these with you, as I posted them in another thread. Here you have the same shot indoor taken simultaneously RAW + JPEG, the Raw photo applied with slight noise reduction and sharpening to my taste in LR 4 (could have used more, if one liked), and then exported to JPEG. The two crops are details of the this photo. The JPEG is ooc untouched, which maybe is a bit unfair, because LR 4 can also do wonders to those nasty yellow blotches the camera produces in low light. Anyway, the resolution and smearing of the photo in the ooc jpeg are there to stay no matter what PP one does. This is just a simple comparison, in daylight the ooc jpegs does an okay job, it is in low light the difference is clearest. I also coud have worked more on the RAW in LR (im a complete beginner with LR), for instance applied more depht to the shadows, this is easy PP, this is just the RAW applied with my presets, which is Colour NR 15, Luminance NR 25, Sharpening 45 and then converted to jpeg. Once you setup a preset for import in LR, you can work quite fast with your RAW files. Working this way has turned my LX5 into quite another tool for me. Now I can work safely up to at least iso 400 in dark shots, iso 800 and even 1600 for grainy shots.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow