Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC vs Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS tested at 24-70

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
munro harrap
Contributing MemberPosts: 720
Like?
Re: Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC vs Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS tested at 24-70
In reply to Moosemilk, May 30, 2012

Interesting. I tried several 24-105L lenses. I do not like this lens. It is not a sharp lens, especially at 24mm and at 105mm it never gets sharp at the borders, which for me makes having 105mm useless, completely. I in fact decided to get a D800 Nikon, and you know, despite the 24-70mm Nikkors reputation, the two I bought and tested had to go back as the fringing was dreadful at all apertures and except for the central circle, due to field curvature everything else was out, right through to 70mm, and there field curvature was so bad that only the central part of the image was sharp. Using f 5.6-8 and on landscapes same at 24mm. You can easily see it all go pearshaped at 100%. Imagine you are in a balloon, where only where the bit of the balloon touching the scene where focussed is sharp, and you get the idea. Grass at 2 metres sharp, but trees at 50metres edge where focussed unsharp where centre sharp. The Canon 24-70mmL MkI does the same!. (The Nikon distorts LESS though)So for me the Tamron could be the answer- but plastic? with that useless lens hood? I wonder.

QC is dead as desiogners expect you to use software to correct a bad cheap design. I buy for film, and these new optics fringe excessively........

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow