70-200 2.8L non-IS

Started May 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
mmullen
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,261Gear list
Like?
Re: 70-200 2.8L non-IS
In reply to DA photo, May 30, 2012

DA photo wrote:

So Dan used an f4. I think he adequately stated his position where they are all outstanding lenses including the the f4.

Yes, but by using the best lens of the bunch (IMO) for your image samples you can not illustrate that the lesser lenses are good too. You want facts and statistics. I just look at the results I and other get with the different lenses. We are not doing aviation research here.

Depending upon how you are going to use the resulting images, you're right, you may not need the best. But because the OP was asking if the newest f/2.8 70-200 has better image quality than the lens he is currently using I have to assume he is not completely satisfied with the IQ of his lens. He is also not satisfied with the AF speed of the old lens. The answer to his questions is that the new lens offers substantial improvement in both those areas. That improvement is obvious when these lenses are shot wide open (which is why one might be willing to lug around one of the f/2.8 lenses). If f/2.8 is not desired a bunch of weight (and $$) can be saved by getting the 70-200 f/4 IS. If the old 70-200 f/2.8 meets your IQ requirements, by all means, keep it.

I still like Dan's pictures and I still agree with his statement that in real world application any of these lenses is highly effective; even my fifteen year old one.

Yes, he has excellent images. Just remember, they were not taken with the old f/2.8 lens. In fact, they were all taken with an f/4 lens stopped down past f/5.6, not an application where the f/2.8 lenses would offer any advantage.

-- hide signature --

Mike Mullen

mmullen's gear list:mmullen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S80 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow