Started May 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?
Re: best DR for HS30
In reply to jcmarfilph, May 30, 2012

jcmarfilph wrote:

dexterproximus wrote:

What is the best value 100,200 or 400? (or auto)

I had mine set at DR200 for birding. For other types of shooting, I use EXR DR-Mode with DR set to Auto.

Since the proper DR setting depends on the DR of the scene, which in turn depends on the light you're shooting in, that's bad advice unless you always shoot in light that's appropriate for DR200%. Even then it's bad advice because anyone that follows it probably won't be aware of this, nor the type of light you shoot in, assuming that it's generally the same. Knowing the amount of DR that's appropriate for the scene isn't intuitive (ask anyone that's studied Ansel's Zone System), so using EXR Auto-DR would probably be best for most people to use if they're more concerned about capturing a wide DR in harsh light than they are about the loss of image quality that high DR% values can produce. If they're really concerned about dealing with DR, Nikon's P7000/P7100 have nice Zone System aids in their playback histograms.

One failed posting attempt

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow