70-200 2.8L non-IS

Started May 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
mmullen
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,259Gear list
Like?
Re: 70-200 2.8L non-IS
In reply to DA photo, May 30, 2012

DA photo wrote:

I do a lot of indoor swimming meets with awful white balance, high contrast backlight an dim corners. I have done a lot of meets with a 5D but since I got the 7D my keepers have gone way up because of fast rapid target acquistion (my AF background), accurate exposure and improved tracking.

Isn't the 7D amazing?

I am a former R&D director and I respond better to replicable facts than nebulous statements like the color is better from one lens to the next.

While the contrast and color vary considerably from the oldest 70-200 f/2.8 to the latest 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, this is not nebulous but verifiable and repeatable. It is attributable to two things:

1) The two newest 70-200 offerings (70-200 f/4 IS and 70-200 f/2.8 IS II) use fluorite elements which obviously correct the refraction of wavelengths on opposite ends of the spectrum with more accuracy.

2) Lens surface coatings have made huge advancements in the last 20 years and the new models use more advanced coatings with much higher performance. The reduced flare and more vibrant color of the newer models is evident when viewing a collection of photos taken with a mix of lenses.

These advancements are in addition to the improved Image Stabilization technology and faster, more accurate AF.

Dan your pictures prove your points in a very direct example setting way. After all they are worth a thousand words--

Funny, Dan's sample photos were taken with the 70-200 f/4 IS.

What do you have to say about that?

-- hide signature --

Mike Mullen

mmullen's gear list:mmullen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S80 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow