Started May 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
JayBratcher
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks and one more question!
In reply to hybert46, May 30, 2012

hybert46 wrote:

Hi Jay,

Thank you so much for the information. I was really really thinking hard how one could get this straight out of the camera so it is good to know that it is not possible. Unfortunately, I have no idea how After Effects or similar software are working. But do you think it is worth acquiring this software and trying or does it require a lot of experience, skills and time to get similar results?

I guess it depends... This was most likely done with simple compositing. If you are planning to do much video editing, then it is worthwhile to learn compositing, regardless of which app you choose. After Effects is probably the most widely used, so there is a lot of information on using After Effects. Vegas does compositing very well also, but lacks some of the refinements and bells and whistles that make After Effects so popular.

So if I was going to do a video like this, I would probably take both a video and a light painting still shot from the same angle, with 2 separate cameras. I would then overlay the still shot on the video clip, and use masks to reveal the light painting as it was being drawn, by altering the mask frame by frame. There are some shortcuts to make this easier (especially when you are elongating the mask linearly), but I would also expect this to take a bit of time to get it right...

JayBratcher's gear list:JayBratcher's gear list
Nikon D70 Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow