Depth of Field on the M43 is in fact better not worse.....

Started May 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,267Gear list
Like?
You have trouble with the concept of simplicity
In reply to Great Bustard, May 30, 2012

Great Bustard wrote:

boggis the cat wrote:

Perhaps "The DOF is the distance between the closest and most distant planes where objects would appear to be reasonably sharp in the image" would be better -- but you can see that it starts to become unwieldy.

Something like:

josephjamesphotography.com/equivalence/index.htm#dof

The DOF (depth of field) is the distance between the near and far points from the focal plane that appear to be in critical focus and is a central player in the amount of detail rendered in an image.

But, I guess, always consider your audience -- maybe "too complicated" for some, eh?

"Critical focus" is meaningless, as is "central player". Let's compare my "unwieldy" definition to yours:

The DOF (depth of field) is the distance between the near and far points from the focal plane that appear to be in critical focus and is a central player in the amount of detail rendered in an image.

The DOF is the distance between the closest and most distant planes where objects would appear to be reasonably sharp in the image.

If "DOF" hasn't already been defined, then you should add that in. I'll add it to my definition.

The DOF (depth of field) is the distance between the closest and most distant planes where objects would appear to be reasonably sharp in the image.

Your definition uses "points" while I use "objects"; points could be confusing, I think. You introduce distance from the "focal plane"; focal plane being another term that isn't really required. "Critical" focus is an unnecessary complication -- are you going to explain what the "critical" modifier means? The part "and is a central player in the amount of detail rendered in an image" is idiomatic and brings in yet another term via "detail".

Now, what does your definition add that helps to explain the concept of DOF? Is my definition simpler to understand than yours? What does it omit that is important?

If you are writing with the intent to teach a concept, then it is extremely important that you constantly think about the intended audience and how to best achieve that goal.

Well, if so, then this will be even worse:

It is -- it is far worse.

Such a jumble of concepts does not serve to explain the concept if DOF at all -- it makes a simple concept appear overwhelmingly complex.

And, for those whose cognitive capacity has not yet been reached, they can continue reading further from the given link.

That would be nobody -- or at least nobody who doesn't already understand what DOF is.

So: who is your intended audience?

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
:-)New
:-)New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow