ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
likota
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
Choose 1 out of these 5 lenses
May 30, 2012

Hi all

In my m43 budget for this year I still have money available for one more lens - only one. The problem is that I can't make up my mind about which one to choose.

My current setup:
Cameras: Oly OM-D, E-PL2

Lenses: Oly 14-42 and 40-150 kit lenses, Oly 9-18, Panasonic 20, Oly 45, Oly 12-50 kit lens

Btw, I mostly shoot outdoors (landscape, nature, travel).

The candidate lenses:

1) Oly 75mm f1.8 – A relatively fast prime by Oly with apparently good optical qualities. I think it will also look good on the OM-D but this is not really important. However, I think 75mm on m43 is an awkward focal length. It is too long for portraits and to short for „real“ telephoto pictures imo. TBH, I would have preferred a 100mm f2.0 or 150mm f2.8 for longer reach.

2) OLY 60mm macro – A few motnhs back this seemed like the logical lens to buy next because i didn't have any dedicated macro lens in my setup (I only had a macro converter but I don't like it that much due to CA). However, now I have the 12-50mm lens and I kind of like its macro capabilities. Overall i really started to like the 12-50 after being sceptical at first. It's a nice and flexible outdoor lens (a bit soft though). What I wanted to say is that a dedicated macro lens is not as compelling anymore but it would still be nice to have 1:1 macro. We still don't know when it will be available.

3) Pana-Leica 25mm f1.4 – If I didn't have the 20mm prime already this would be a no-brainer for me. I don't know if the difference between the 20 and 25 are significant enough to justify buying the 25mm. I must admit that the 20mm was my most used lens on the E-PL2 but for whatever reason I don't like it as much on the OM-D. So I thought that I could leave the 20mm permanently on the E-PL2 as my backup camera and put the 25mm on the OM-D. The 25mm has recently also become more affordable.

4) Pana 12-35mm f2.8 – I really don't know what to think of this lens. Is it just a glorified kit lens or is it really worth buying it. It is faster than the normal kit lenses but still not really that fast. It seems to have good optical characteristics but it is also very expensive.

5) Pana 35-100mm f2.8 – This lens will be even more expensive than the previous one. My Oly 40-150mm in combination with a B+W polarizer managed to produce really good results especially at the short end of the focal range. If the Pana 35-100mm could produce even better results that would be impressive.

At the moment my favourites are the OLY macro and the Pana-Leica. Which one would you choose and why?

likota's gear list:likota's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D610 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
Olympus PEN E-PL2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow