Started May 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FlossTycoon
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,904
Like?
S1, S2, S3, S5 Wednesday thread 2012.05.30
May 30, 2012

Hello from San Bernadino, CA. I have been chasing trains off and on for the last several day and have a few to post. The focus of the two groups of photos are two of the railroad passes leading east out of the state. The first three images are from Donner Pass and the last four are from Tehachapi. I was on Cajon Pass for a few hours this afternoon and will probably include a few from there next week.

We have a couple of Federal Railroad Administration safety cars attached to the rear of Amtrak train #5 going downhill on Donner Pass.

I was planning on an eastbound train but a westbound beat the desired train to this point. So I took what I could get in the overcast.

This is the train I was expecting to arrive first and the one I was set up for. Way down in the valley is the American River. The climb over Donner Pass was simplified by climbing the ridge between the American River and Yuba River. Quite a feat of engineering and massive blasting through solid rock nearer the top.

Tehachapi Pass has been one of my favorite places to visit. Access to favorite locations has become increasingly restricted but I have found with care I can get many of the images I want from public property if the traffic shows. All of these images are taken between the town of Caliente, CA and the siding of Bealville.

The first is an eastbound train between Tunnels 1 and 2. Nice clean power.

This is the rear of the train in the first image of this set. The rearmost remote control helper is pointed the right direction to make a nice going away photo which almost makes this look like a train coming at the photographer. The headlights are dim and the crossing lights are dark though with a little photoshop work they can be brightened. For the serious experienced railfan the lumber loads will rat out the manipulator since everyone knows lumber moves east. This train is long enough to show the train snaking through the curves of Bealville siding.

Here is a true westbound train with a nice mix of locomotives. Unfortunately, it does not have the number of cars in the consist to fill the curves for the best effect.

Train chasing does not end when the sun goes down if there are trains to be had. I had set up for this image as the sun was going down. The train lost the race and I moved to another location where the sun would brighten the sky for the longest time. I am not sure my attempt to clean up the iso 1000 noise has been completely successful. I don't do that very often so I need lots more practice.

Thanks for all the support on the Wednesday Thread. I might be able to post a few animal images for next week though train traffic has been sort of kind to me, there may be more trains, enough to fill the thread.

-- hide signature --

Alan, in Montana

Casio Exilim EX-S5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BobNew
(unknown member)
TomNew
TomNew
TomNew
BobNew
TomNew
AlanNew
(unknown member)
MarkNew
AlanNew
MarkNew
BobNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow