Another feature Sony should bring back

Started May 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,982Gear list
Like?
Re: Grass is greener?
In reply to zackiedawg, May 29, 2012

Of course, I wouldn't say that the D5100 or Canon T3i are outright superior cameras. The a580 still beats them by shooting faster, buffering more frames in a burst, and having more cross type AF points. But Sony could really have done a much better job with the a580, and current cameras by not cutting out features they've already implemented in the past. I wouldn't like a D5100 or an a580 (even though that's what I have now). I would like an a580 with the D5100's firmware. That combination would really be a winner.

I can't say I necessarily agree as to any superiority with Nikon's cameras for my own functionality, but I can agree that there are certainly features or firmware I would find very useful and would welcome on Sony cameras. However, I could very much say the same about other brands when comparing to Sony...so it striked me more as a 'grass is greener' type of opinion - you see things the Nikon has that your A580 doesn't, and of course, those become the things you most want (because you don't have them). If I were to switch to a D5100, I would find myself comparing its shortcomings to my A580 - lack of in-body stabilization, lack of in-body focus motor, shorter battery life, lack of a proper percent-remaining battery indicator, unusably slow and clunky live view system, lack of multi-frame NR stacking mode, lack of in-camera HDR microalignment (tripod required and only takes 2 shots), no wireless flash control, no direct ISO button, only one cross-point sensor, no eye-sensor to shut off LCD when using viewfinder...

To be fair, I found the D5100's LV implementation to be very usable. LV mode stops down the lens to the selected aperture, so CDAF is performed at the selected aperture. That takes care of any focus shift from stopping down. The D5100's CDAF was also very fast compared to the a580's implementation, although I guess speed doesn't matter if you're using live view, anyways. I think you can also reprogram a button to change ISO settings.

And in place of HDR, the D5100 has real bracketing out to 2 EV, instead of the anemic 0.7 EV found on Sony cameras. I used to do RAW HDR bracketing with my old compact, but completely stopped doing HDR with the a580, relying on the dynamic range of the sensor to recover shadows/highlights. I try to stay away from JPG files, because I feel like they don't have enough detail, even at base ISO.

But about other systems...yeah, honestly, I can't find myself falling in love with any system.

You get the point. Neither camera is 'better' than the other in my opinion, and each has advantages and disadvantages. It's easy to get caught up in the 'grass is greener' obsession and find yourself wanting what you don't have more than appreciating what you do. But you also may find that your photography might be better off with the specific missing features of that other camera - in which case by all means move to that system.

I guess we agree, then. Perhaps the only area that we differ in is that I'm likely to move away from Sony in the future (mainly because of the EVF), but for now, the a580 is still an awesome camera no matter how I criticize it.

I would love a few of the things you mention to be available on my Sony...but at the same time when I weigh the pros and cons for my use, the things the Sony has that the Nikon doesn't are much more important to me, and I find the Sony by far the better fit for my needs and my shooting style.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow