Started May 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Wally626
Senior MemberPosts: 1,518
Like?
New 300mm Zeiss lens
May 29, 2012

Picked up a new to me 300mm Zeiss Jenna Sonnar f/4 lens in M42 mount and it arrived today. Took it for its first test shots of a radio tower 1776ft from my car. Shots below were hand held with +1ev compensation but otherwise untouched. Hyperfocal distance for 300mm at f/4 is about 8000 ft for a CoC of 0.01mm, so I was well short of infinity and with the adaptor I had it would focus past the tower distance. I have three shots from the Zeiss at f/4, max, f/5.6, matches Minolta and f/8. In comparison I used my Minolta 70-300 zoom at f/5.6. I have found the Minolta to be a bit soft at 300mm and wanted something sharper but did not want to spend $7000 for the Sony 300. The pictures are cropped to 100%. Shutter speeds f/4 1/1600th, f/5.6 1/800th, f/8 1/400th. ISO 100

To me it looks like a nice improvement in performance even at f/4. So for less than twice the money I got a better lens. Drawbacks it is really heavy, 2070 grams, manual focus and manual aperture. It does have a quick aperture switch and I need to play with that some. For the shots taken I just had the aperture locked. It did come with a nice case and lens hood.

http://www.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-jena-sonnar-300mm-f4-mc-lens-review.html if you want more information.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow