Upgrade feedback: ASUS P8Z77-V LK/ i5 3570K? RAM 8 or 16?

Started May 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
reid thaler
Senior MemberPosts: 1,487
Like?
Upgrade feedback: ASUS P8Z77-V LK/ i5 3570K? RAM 8 or 16?
May 29, 2012

Looking to upgrade from Asus P5Q Pro with Q9450 8 GB RAM.

Currently thinking of the Asus P8Z77-V LK http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-131-837&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2

Using PS, lightroom, no gaming.

and the i5 3750K. I'm not sold on overclocking (the last time I di, it only screwed up my print jobs) but thought I'd get the K as an option and to be more applealing when I eventually sell it (shiny today, sell tomorrow--or 4 years)

Any thoughts about the choices? the mobo has the z77 chipset, which while I'm fairly ignorant on the chipset, appears to be the current generation.

Will also get an SSD and reuse by graphic card, case, and power supply, and other drives.

Re: RAM, I know it's cheap, but with my current system, utilization seems to stay between 5 and 6 GB. Is 16 still recommended? I was thinking of geting 2x 4GB of g. skill, but may be easier to just get it now.

I've built several systems, but always appreciate guidance.

Also, even though I've built other systems, I've always worried that there is some setting in the BIOS I've missed that will speed things up, make my breakfast, and create world peace, but I haven't set it right. Anything glaring that I should know of with this next build?

Thanks,

Reid

-- hide signature --

Thanks!

Reid
http://www.lumiograph.com

Kodak Brownie
Argus 126
Quaker Oats Container Pinhole Camera

Casio Exilim EX-Z77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow