Started May 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Revup
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
FM3A sized D700 please.
May 29, 2012

I have to admit that I'm in the market for a smaller portable camera. While I love my D700 and have been known to sleep with it within arms length (Sad!?!) I do lament that I can't possibly carry it everywhere......not a weight issue, so much as a bulk issue!

Yet every other 'portable' camera I've used, including the P7000, and a Fuji X10... just don't make the grade. Why should I carry one of these and accept lesser images as a result?

That got me thinking about what my dream camera would look like and do......A Lieca M9 possibly? a Fuji Xpro 1?

Then I pulled my FM3A off the display shelf - its perfect! Absolutely perfect.....except of course its a film camera!

So then, my dream camera would be a digital FM3A, a DM3A.

My question for all you Nikon lovers is this.....would such a beast be possible, and would it sell?

What I would want from my DM3A would be the basic operation and manual control of the FM3A allied to the full frame chip of the D700. A D700 without the modes and automation that I never use anyway, and which I'm sure makes my D700 so bulky.

A DM3A would give me access to all the F mount lenses, including the old MF favourites, and the rest of the nikon system, thus making it more capable and cheaper than a lieca M9

Would such a camera be possible to manufacture? (ie size and weight with a digital chip.)

Would such a camera sell to a massed market? - (given that it would be mainly manual in operation - thus requiring skills that the current X box generation don't have!)

The Rev

Revup's gear list:Revup's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 +1 more
Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow