Am I missing something with DSLR video ?

Started Apr 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,400
Like?
Re: Am I missing something with DSLR video ?
In reply to Sean Nelson, May 29, 2012

I'm just thinking it's a video world now and if I don't keep up, my stills skills won't mean much. I just picture being on a job, a client turning to me and saying "you do videos, right? Can you do (this) for me? Thanks."

Instead of me just shrugging my shoulders, I'd like to be able to say that yes, I could get a vid of this, however rudimentary. I realize that to boldly proclaim myself a Video Guy would take a completely different skill set, equipment, and post processing software. Maybe I'll just have my Panasonic ZS1 with me. I'll whip that out and say, sure, one video coming up!

Sean Nelson wrote:

toomanycanons wrote:

I now have a D5100 and still have never done a video. I'm a good stills photographer but am wondering if there's something I'm missing here.

Video and still photography are quite different, both in the way you shoot and in the way you post-process. There's typically a lot more post-process work for videos, and it helps a lot if you plan ahead and think about what the final sequence of shots is going to look like when you're actually out there capturing footage.

Before you go out and look at different cameras, I'd just go ahead an use your D5100 to capture some stuff and try to put it together into a coherent end product. That'll give you an idea of whether video is really your cup of tea or not.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow