Started May 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
mmullen
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,259Gear list
Like?
Re: 70-200 2.8L non-IS
In reply to gdanmitchell, May 29, 2012

gdanmitchell wrote:

It can be difficult to track the sequence of posts in a thread like this one

That is certainly proving to be the case.

Another poster suggested that the f/4 lens has some significant image quality deficiencies in comparison to one of the f/2.8 options, and named several supposed deficiencies.

That poster is quoted in my reply, which I chose to make mostly in the form of photographs rather than words, and which demonstrates (to the extent possible with jogs - it is so hard to post prints!) my experience that, again, image quality from all of the 70-200mm lenses is outstanding.

Wait! The only person you quoted was mmullen (me) and I said I slightly prefer the 70-200 f/4 IS to the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II (I have both lenses). I did not convey that the f/4 lens was deficient in any way - it is my favorite lens. Looking at the EXIF of your samples I see none of them were taken with the 70-200 f/2.8 but with the f/4 versions.

I fail to see how your samples show all of the 70-200's are excellent when none of them were taken with the 70-200 f/2.8 or the 70-200 f/2.8 IS. Those are the only two lenses that I said I had found to be lacking in contrast, corner sharpness or AF speed. You are using a better lens (IMO) to try to say that the lenses with lower IQ are good enough.

-- hide signature --

Mike Mullen

mmullen's gear list:mmullen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S80 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow