Compatibility of D4 with Zacuto EVF and Atomos Ninja

Started May 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
rcgehrzmd
New MemberPosts: 20Gear list
Like?
Re: Compatibility of D4 with Zacuto EVF and Atomos Ninja
In reply to Juerg, May 29, 2012

The Atomos Ninja 2 upgrade with the OS3.0 operating system will have a high resolution screen comparable to the Zacuto EVF, as well as many features that will enable you to use this as an EVF/external monitor. I still prefer to use the Zacuto EVF with Z-Finder for precise manual focusing. The Ninja 2 is supposed to be available within the next month and is being offered at a $200 discount to customers who already have an original Ninja.

I have compared the Prores files recorded on the Ninja vs H.264 files recorded in camera to my XQD card. I believe the Ninja Prores files appear to be superior but only if you set the output range to Limit ; the D4 records black and white between 18 and 235, not 1 and 255; setting to Limit redistributes the color range so blacks are true black and whites are not clipped. The H.264 files from the camera are great as well, and the the size of the files can be handled efficiently by the XQD card. I have set my camera to default movies to the XQD card. when recording in camera. I also use the custom TassinFlat picture control settings that can be downloaded off the Internet. This allows for very high dynamic range when color processing in FCPX. The biggest advantage to the external Prores files is the speeded-up work flow; files are instantly ready to use in FCPX and the 2.5" SDD/HDD can be used as your permanent backup files.
-
rcgehrzmd

rcgehrzmd's gear list:rcgehrzmd's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow