Is it just me or are there a lot of angry people here?

Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Sean Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,395
Like?
Re: So, which bit
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 29, 2012

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Back to the original - the lens is 75mm f1.8. Simples. If you want to use the crop factor to claim it is a 150, then you must also accept the crop factor makes it an F3.6.

Louis, here's a question for you. I buy the 75mm f/1.8 lens for my M43 camera. When I use it I get images that have only 1/3 the angular coverage of my "normal" 25mm lens. I'm using it as an f/1.8 telephoto lens with "3X the reach" of my "normal" lens.

Nowhere have I claimed any "equivalence" to another format.

Do we agree that it's fair to call it a 75mm f/1.8 lens when I use it in this sense?

Now if someone comes along and asks me about the lens' field of view, and if I describe it as being " equivalent to the field of view given by a 150mm lens on a full frame 35mm camera ", how does that change how I've been using the lens? It doesn't change the exposures I'm using. It doesn't change the depth of field I'm getting. It doesn't change the amount of noise I end up with. What exactly has changed?

(I think I know what your response will be, and I'm hoping it will help to clarify the discussion ;))

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow