Started May 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
COBill
Regular MemberPosts: 113
Like?
D700, D800 or D4?
May 29, 2012

I had been reasonably happily shooting with a D700 for a while but sold it in anticipation of what I (had thought) would be a quick upgrade to the D800.

But while I cancelled my preorder for a D800 from B&H last week (I figured my odds of success would be higher elsewhere) I have been torn as to whether to get the D800, the D4 or go back to the D700.

I like the idea of the high resolution of the D800, as I like to do lots of cropping of my photos in LR 4, and appreciate its dynamic range as it's wonderful to be able to pull details out of shadows the way you can with any of these FX bodies, and shots taken with the D800 should excel at that.

But I would also appreciate the fast frame rate of the D4 for use at concerts, wildlife in motion, air shows and the like.

The majority of my photography is landscape/cityscape, often at night, but I do shoot occasional "fast" events - nothing that needs 10 fps, but the 3 fps my old D80 achieved was a bit too slow, resulting in lots of "shoot and hope" scenarios, and the 5 fps of the D700 could be "worked with."

I think the D4's resolution would be just fine in most cases, but as I do prefer to do my cropping in post, the D800's seems to be the better choice there.

I had briefly considered just getting another D700, though now that those are on intergalactic back-order as well, it's sort of a toss-up.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Nikon D4 Nikon D700 Nikon D80 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow