EFS 17-85 lense...repair or buy a new one?

Started May 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stonefly
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
EFS 17-85 lense...repair or buy a new one?
May 29, 2012

I have an EFS 17-85 lense that is about 5 years old. Just the other day on my new 60d body I got an Error 1. I tried cleaning the contacts, but that did not fix it. I tried it on my Rebel xt body and got an error 99.

My question is do I pay shipping and minimum $210 to get repaired or do I cut my losses and buy something else. The lense has been good for what I used it for, but I usually find the zoom not quite enough.

I also have a EF 70-200 lense which I use, again I wish the zoom were better but the size is as big as I would want to go.

I need a lense that I can keep on all the time and will continue to be good when taken hiking, camping and fishing. I don't always want to lug the zoom lense with me. I do have a 50mm that I like, but miss the option of the zoom when I use it

I also have to say I don't really know that much about lenses and the tech talk I have read on here, so feel free to lay it out in a simple way Obviously I am not a professional photographer, I just like photography and do it as a hobby. I am slowly learning, but it is talking a while to wrap the technical terms around my head, which I am continuing to try to do.

Do I repair the lense? I should also mention I recently discovered some specks of dust inside the glass part of my lense. The person at the camera store said there is no way to remove them and should not affect my pictures...not sure if this is true.

I am open to suggestions for any lense that would be a good if not better equivalent for a similar price range.
Thanks,
Michelle

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow