Crazy decision? Feedback appreciated

Started May 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
glanglois
Contributing MemberPosts: 987
Like?
New versus open box versus refurb.
In reply to Wanganuilad, May 29, 2012

In my country, the same as that of B&H, retailers cannot legally sell returned items ("try it and return it") as new. They're often referred to as "open box" for obvious reasons and sold at perhaps 10-15% less than "new". That's one reason for restocking fees.

Gear that's returned and re-sold as new must show no evidence of the box ever being opened. That's one reason for seals/tape on the boxes.

A camera that has been returned to the manufacturer or its repair outlet for repair and re-testing is sold as "refurbished".

If I have this wrong, someone (particularly from B&H) can correct me. Perhaps Henry Posner can help us here ...

Wanganuilad wrote:
Thanks ranger18

Shonky means dubious in our vernacular.
I think it is the possibility that 'new' items are not new that gets my goat.

Blowed if I want to shell out for something that someone else has run round the block a few times, no matter how carefully. One of the reasons I would never patronise B&H.
But anyway, it is your consumer law, so it's there to be used I suppose

Pete

ranger18 wrote:

Pete-

not sure what "shonky" means, but three weeks of limited use was enough for me to know that it was not for me. Considering that I can't afford to sit on a camera/lens combination with a value over $2500, I must return within 30 days to get full refund. I thought it would be a great camera, and it is, just not OK for someone who needs to stick with image stabilized gear.

The camera and lenses are in pristine condition, and I think as with all on-line retailers these days, it's part of the cost of doing business. You do raise an interesting point about the difference between buying through a local shop vs an online retailer. Local shops might even have rental equipment available to "try before you buy."

But online retailers have/are squeezing the LCSs out of business, so I have no qualms about giving it a very sincere go, and sending back. There should be no refurb required. If someone wants a camera with a "0" shutter count, they can attempt to find one, since all cameras, even new, have some shutter releases recorded for QC prior to ship.

I live in a locale with only two limited LCSs, one of which does not carry Fuji. The other has no "renters' to try, and don't let their demo stock get much "exercise". When that changes, I may consider shopping locally again.

-- hide signature --

K-5 some Len

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow