Started May 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ishu
Forum MemberPosts: 96
Like?
Removing a wall decoration from indoor portrait
May 29, 2012

Greetings. I will start by saying I really don't know what I'm doing with this task.

I have a family portrait for which I wish to remove a distracting wall hanging. I have learned how much subtle texture and lighting variation there can be on an otherwise blank wall.

My goal is to print an 8x12 enlargement. I'll use this exercise to accept recommendations for photo editing packages (and platforms)--but I'd like to get this done before I do the platform upgrade.

The edits:

I didn't invest in software since I didn't envision myself fixing stuff much. Now I'm much much pickier… so I'll have to buck up and shell out some dough.

The landscape print on the wall kept bugging me so I figured I'd try removing it. The easy part: In The Gimp (I had it, and thought this wasn't a big deal…) I cut the offending section out of the image.

The hard part: I had to fill it in with something, so I created a mask and cloned areas of nearby wall. But I can still see a shadow in the image.

The platform:

I'm willing to save my pennies, and I imagine I'll have similar needs in the future… but not very often, maybe a few times a year. So I'm willing to spend a little more on software and a little less on hardware. I have an old Mac with 2GB RAM (maxed out), but my home has Mac, Windows, and Linux. I'm perfectly willing, for example, to get a cheapo Windows box, max the RAM to 8GB or whatever, and drop the rest on CS or something.

I've posted before and after below.
Thanks in advance!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow