D800 live view is awful

Started May 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Russell Proulx
Contributing MemberPosts: 590
Like?
Re: D800 live view is awful
In reply to russbarnes, May 28, 2012

russbarnes wrote:

Lol. I reckon I'm the only one who's happy with it. I find no genuine shortcomings - I work with what I've got and find no real problems at all...

I agree with you, Russ. I've shot product and 'fine art repro' in a studio using Nikon CC Pro2 with a D300, D700, D3, D3s and see no difference in the way the focus is done/confirmed in Live View. It's not great, but it works just fine. The D800/E seems to use the same system.

I first set the AF in LV via auto-focus on the point of critical focus. If the subject lacks an appropriate spot (ie when a specific DOF is intended) then I'll pop a piece of paper in the scene on which I've drawn some black lines, or use some printed text. I then (@200% view) use the + and - control to move the focus away from what the AF set and count the clicks while watching its affect. If the focus is perfect then 2-3 clicks to either side will look equally poor and the best result will be to in the middle. If not, then I choose a better focus position. I find this method a lot easier, faster, and more precise than manually turning the lens focusing ring.

I've learned that it's important to focus at the working f/stop as some of my otherwise excellent lenses have a very visible focus shift when stopping down. Live view offers a critical check of the focus @ the working f/stop rather than checking with the lens wide open or relying only on the AV system.

I've spent most of my years as a photographer shooting in a studio using a view camera and a Hasselblad 500CM. The live view offered by CCPro2 is so much better than the old way of working. I appreciate that it could be even better. But to suggest that it's unusable for studio work is completely opposite to my own experience.

Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow