Started May 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sam_siciliano
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
issues with non-glare acrylic
May 28, 2012

I finally got around to printing some large (13 X 19) photos on my Epson 3880 printer on premium luster Epson paper. I was very happy with how the prints turned out. I ordered a couple frame kits from American Frame which gets good marks in DP Forum, and I had a good experience with them too. However, as an experiment, I ordered one frame with regular acrylic and another with non-glare acrylic. I hadn't tried a non-glare product for something like 30 years, back when I tried non-glare glass. To my eye, the non-glare acrylic has the same old issues. It mutes and blurs things, making colors less vivid and hiding some of the detail. In the end, I think in the future I'll live with the glare so people can really see my photos.

I wondered if others have the same feelings and if there are any other options. I have followed a couple printing threads where people mentioned just mounting and framing their photos without either glass or acrylic, the idea being if they wear, you can just reprint. Somehow I do hate to leave my beautiful image completely naked like that! All the same, I really did not like what the non-glare acrylic did to the photo. I didn't pay much attention to which side of the acrylic was outside in the frame. Does it make much difference if you have it backwards?

Finally, I've seen mentions of museum glass but I don't know much about that, and it's not an option at the main framing kit places. Does it help with glare and in a better way than non-glare acrylic?

Thanks,

Sam

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow