Started May 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,284Gear list
Like?
Re: DXO 5D/5D2 vs 7D
In reply to MAC, May 28, 2012

MAC wrote:

The extra noise does eat away at resolution at higher iso's but

Entire ISO range not just high ISO. I saw (and you should also see) noticeable grains/noises in shadows (before pull) and in dark blue sky and people's face in close-up portrait even at base ISO. 100.5D2?5D1 files are noticeable cleaner even both viewed at 100% cropped. DXO SNR tests just confirmed that.

for prints 19x13" and below it doesn't matter

Again this is subjective and controversial. I don't want to get into debate upto what size and details of what printing technique use. Printing on paper is just as applying a large amount of NR that effectively smear out some details. Viewing at hing resolution monitor clearly to see the difference.

And be careful when you talk about people shots, though I'll agree on closeups at high iso, but group shots, full body shots, zoomed out shots...you'll see no difference in prints until you go to a huge size which most are not buying

You're not the only person to have people shots. Everyone does that. You again get into your side of story and you scenario. If you view photos at large size on high resolution monitor, you will see see difference in group people shots between your 60D and 5D with respective lenses.

if we were both shooting a group and I'm using my 15-85 with my unbrellas and radio triggers and you are using any lens you have and any body you have -- you will not do better 13x19 in print and below --where most wedding work is done.

According to DXO, similar walk-around zoom 24-105L on both 5D2 and 5D1 outresolve 15-85 on 7D/60D. 15-85 is a good walk-around lens but is not best in people shot but a walk-around 5.67x super-zoom with lots of compromise. I have Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS (that matches to Canon 17-55/2.8 IS) that is no less than 17-85 and I have lots of photos from that lens on 60D. Against not to resort to 19x13" or wedding photog that are just subjective to you but not everybody else.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow