My photos in a textbook; what do I charge?

Started May 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
MrMojo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,146
Like?
Re: My photos in a textbook; what do I charge?
In reply to Dean Baird, May 28, 2012

fotoQuote is another pricing resource that more than paid for itself the first time I used it. I usually charge the fotoQuote median fee unless the image is special and difficult to find elsewhere. (Many publishers also use fotoQuote.)

Textbook publishers make a mint and they can be difficult to negotiate with, particularly the free-lance image editors they often use to obtain images. Pricing is based on the print run and image placement; more can be charged if the image is unique. If I am contacted regarding a particular image I know that the publisher wants that image and unless I am unreasonable regarding the license fee it is already a Done Deal. Textbook stock images are already dirt-cheap; I see no reason to inflate publishers profit margins by lowering the price.

Licensing should be for a single edition. Foreign editions merit an additional license fee. I don't discount images for new editions. I've had images run in multiple editions of the same textbook.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow