Started May 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
andrew_london
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
D800 AF problem can be fixed
May 28, 2012

The former thread I posted in about the issue doesn't allow any more messages, unfortunately, so I'm opening a new one instead.

My D800 suffered from severe AF issues. The outer left point was worst, followed by the outer right point (a bit better) and only the centre point was perfect. I dropped it at a Nikon service centre where they confirmed the issue and promised a repair within one week. Two weeks later they still hadn't repaired it because they were waiting for a cable and calibration software. Once the parts had arrived another week later, they tried to calibrate it but were unsuccessful. The camera was then forwarded to Nikon headquarters where the AF was adjusted but no parts were changed according to the enclosed invoice (repair was free, of course).

After having tested it with two lenses so far (24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 VR II), I can confirm that the issue is fixed. Pictures are now tack sharp regardless of which focus point is being used. I'm finally a happy user and will put it through its paces on my next holiday trip.

Good luck to all other users whose camera is suffering from the same problem! And please don't let people tell you the issue is not existing, it definitely is, at least for a certain amount of cameras. I got confirmation from Nikon that focus of my camera is not working correctly after I had sent them RAW files and that was proof enough for me that I shouldn't bother searching for handling errors on my side (I was using a sturdy tripod with Acratech ballhead as well as proper AF-targets). I even spoke to a technician when dropping off the camera and he confirmed the problem, too, after having checked some pictures.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow