Lytro -- photos of toddlers/kids

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Oahu Kamaaina
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Re: Lytro -- Solution in Search of a Problem?
In reply to Don Fraser, May 28, 2012

"Is it to some extent a great solution, in search of a problem?"

Good point, Don. I like mine because it's challenging, not because it takes great images. It's been described as a proof of concept and that's probably true. It might have the same appeal as the pinhole camera does to some people or the guy who shot a movie with his iPhone to show that it can be done. Lots of people are commenting how to improve the camera, but I believe that these (Lytro) people are very smart and they know how to make the camera better (and more expensive). As a first product, they can sell a lot more $400 cameras than $1200 cameras.

I hike a lot and revisit the same areas (I live on an island) so I currently carry and use the Lytro a lot more than my better traditional cameras. If I were traveling to somewhere new, the Lytro would be my second or third camera, not my primary.

The technology has now been shown to be feasible in a consumer product, so I doubt if it will go away. Maybe once they release their wiggle 3D viewer it will have more appeal to that part of the market.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow