Foveon sensor output - film like?

Started May 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?
Re: Foveon sensor output - film like?
In reply to charlwoodphotography, May 28, 2012

charlwoodphotography wrote:

Having looked through quite a few shots online it seems to me that the output from a Foveon sensor is very 'film like' - by that I mean the apparent dynamic range and the colour tones.

Is that something you folks, as users, would agree with?

I never shot DSLR film very much, before getting an SD10 in 2004. I've always been satisfied with the Sigma-Foveon dynamic range, as compared to other digital cameras I've used (Canon and Pentax mainly). Once more last week, the DP1 and DP2 cameras proved themselves 'in the field' so to speak. They handled high dynamic range scenes better than my Canon 5DII. I cannot speak of the SD1's newer sensor dynamic range, but the DP1/DP2 sensor is the same basic sensor as the SD14/SD15. The older SD9/SD10's had an earlier sensor. Dynamic range has never been a 'problem' in my experience, on the contrary.

I haven't had a chance yet to process through my hundreds of rock shots 5DII, DP1, DP2 from Valley of Fire and Zion National Park Utah. Just a couple are online at flickr at present.

There is a certain sharpness and edge contrast IMHO to the Foveon sensors' output which often give results which are sharper and cleaner than non-Foveon cameras. This is a matter of a LOT of threads and controvery on the Forum, but I think it's true... ie there is a Foveon quality.

There are disadvantages too... mainly high ISO. I rarely shoot any camera over ISO800. You won't find most Sigma users doing the ISO24000+ or whatever.
Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow