70-200 2.8L non-IS

Started May 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
DA photo
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?
Re: 70-200 2.8L non-IS
In reply to xxxpongxxx, May 28, 2012

As to practical application not theory bolstered by use of a loupe, I have owned the same 70-200 2.8L since 1997. I have done wildlife, thousands of sports pictures, portraits, general newspaper work, weddings, and a host of other things with it. I dropped it on a sidewalk at wedding and dropped it on a pool deck at a swim meet. It still focuses fine and produces pictures that have been more than acceptable. I think G Dan Mitchell knows what he is talking about. I have followed his postings for a long time in another forum and very much respect his opinions. I agree with him. I have done a lot of upgrading but I have never considered dumping this lens for a newer one for what I believe in most cases for what would be an imperceptable benefit in terms of my use of the lens. I have added many lenses and bodies since I bought this lens. I have not been able to wear it out and it is still my favorite lens. Some people (to quote a lot of lazy news sources these days) say the non-IS is sharper the the IS. I don't know about that but mine looks and operates like the day I bought it. Look at the resale prices on these old lenses. My remedy for non IS is higher shutter speeds when I can get them. It is very effective still in dark corners, and screwy white balance from sodium lights at swim meets in large arenas.
--
DAphoto

DA photo's gear list:DA photo's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow