T-stop at f/2.8 on 70-200 II vs 85 1.4??

Started May 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jupu
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
T-stop at f/2.8 on 70-200 II vs 85 1.4??
May 28, 2012

Had another one of the those "ok life was all about T-stops and not f-stops" - experiences last weekend.

Shot a ball├ęt performance and I was a bit in the middle between the 70-200 II and the 85 f/1.4... 70-200 was flexier enabling me to separate inviduals while the 85 was lighter for a 3 h continuos shoot and yes again, it was much brighter at f/2.8.

The 85 is probably among the least light-consuming lenses around while the 18 element zoom has more internal losses. This could be seen when shooting a static illuminated show on manual exposure with just the strongest highlights clipping in the dresses. Switch to the 85 and much mich more of dresses were blown...

Probably a part of the difference comes from the zoom vignetting at wide open while the 85 is stopped two stops down with obvious results. But, I have noticed a clear exposure difference between the two when shooting high-key studio shots on very stable flash systems.

What comes to image quality, the 85 beats hands up the 70-200 at f/2.8 & 70-80mm. f/4 would even the odds... when light allowing for stopping down.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow