Auto-ISO Discussion for Those in the Know

Started May 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
JCB123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,045Gear list
Like?
Re: Auto-ISO Discussion for Those in the Know
In reply to Jack Hogan, May 28, 2012

Hi Jack

I do indeed shoot raw. I also read your earlier post. I still prefer to move to ISO 1600 rather than underexpose at ISO 800 on either the D90 or the D7000. Even with the advantage/overhead of shooting raw I find that the noise in the shadows is worse in an underexposed iso 800 shot if any thing goes off the left side of the histogram, and then pulled in pp than it is shot at ISO 1600. No side by side comparisons but thats just how my method has evolved over time. I used to think like you on this but I have changed my mind.

Nevertheless I work to try and keep to ISO 800 on the D90 or ISO 1600 on the D7000. I will shoot wide open and sacrifice some shutter speed if possible. I don't go for images that claim to show 'motion' using blur where nothing is sharp. A bird in flight can have blurred wingtips, or an animal running at full stretch can have blurred feet but the head and most of the body should be sharp. (my preference) After that I'll allow the ISO to go up. If everything is above ISO 1600 I'll move to better light or pack up. So I never (well rarely) go home with hundreds of high ISO shots. Ideally I much prefer to keep to ISO 400 or below

At one point I came to regard ISO 800 as unacceptable, but found that when I moved the limit to ISO 1600, that ISO 800 does just fine (because I no longer get significant under exposure.) Then ISO 1600 improved somewhat once I moved the limit to ISO 3200. If I get under exposed shots at ISO 3200 the light is just too bad to get a shot. Unless that is I can afford to loose some shutter speed or open the aperture if not already wide open. The majority of ISO 3200 shots on the D90 are not keepers, but they would have been worse with two stop underexposure at ISO 800 from past experience.

Oh my - too long again.

Regards
John

JCB123's gear list:JCB123's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow