Started May 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
highwave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041Gear list
Like?
Had a chance to play with the Canon G1X
May 28, 2012

I'm going to compare it to the Panasonic G2 since that's the only m43 I ever used so far.

I fellow hiker had the Canon G1X with her and I sort of got my way into getting her to give me the camera for the duration of the hike although I just met her for the first time on that hike. (Talk about getting your priorities right )

Anyway she was a nice person she let me use it for the hike. Another coincidence is her friend who was also hiking with her had the Canon G12. I myself had the Canon s95 in my pocket. One big happy family

Anyway, my first impression was just how small it actually is in real life. It's hardly bigger than the G12. At first I thought it was a Canon G model when I wasn't paying attention until she pointed out it was the G1X.

The good stuff ends there though. I was very families with it since it was pretty much identical to the controls of my s95. The similarities are carried on into the negatives as well. The autofocus felt just as slow and stupid as my s95. The JPEG engine for all I can tell was so identical. The images were much more crisp and better on the G1X but not to the point of me being wowed. I tried to get a good test on dynamic range but I couldn't find a good challenging shoot. Overall I didn't feel it was impressive in dynamic range. It felt better than my s95 though. The other major letdown is just how heavy the thing felt. When I got back I read it was around 500 grams. But boy did it feel heavy in the hand. I don't know why. The optical viewfinder is I guess their idea of a bad joke. All you can see is the lens Barrel and a little bit of what's there.

Now compared to the Panasonic G2. First autofocus on the G2 is lightning fast in comparison. The controls are so much better and the G2 just had a better quality feel to it. I absolutely adored the EVF of the G2 whereas the OVF of the G1X I just saw through it twice and shacked my head. The JPEG engine on the G1X seemed much better than the G2. And the dynamic range of the G1X seemed a little better than the G2. But I'm not sure as I have not used either camera extensively. The odd thing is the weight. Both should have been the same weight (used the 45mm 1.8 on the G2). But oddly I didn't notice the G2 being heavy in my hand whereas the G1X instantly felt heavy. I don't know if it's ergonomics giving a false impression or what.

I felt the G1X was a let down overall. I asked the lady why she got it and she said for compactness as opposed to her DSLR. I said m43. She said m43 what? Then I said Olympus, Panasonic. She said, oh no, I don't know those brands (i.e. don't trust their quality). So it's true Canon and Nikon have a very loyal following and others have a hard time breaking into their markets.

But this doesn't bode well for the upcoming Canon mirrorless. I hope they up their game by then. Or on second thought I hope they don't.

highwave's gear list:highwave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow