Started May 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
setite
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
New T3i User - Wahoo!
May 28, 2012

So I finally pulled the trigger on a T3i kit. I have no experience, but after years of buying P&S's that were unable to take a picture of the moon I gave up. The moon is just my test of a good camera. One 5 or 6 years ago I looked up into the night sky, saw a cool halo around the moon made by atmospheric elements, and I wanted to take a picture of it. My Casio Exilim Z55 of the time fell on it's face attempting to capture anything at night, let alone in the almost devoid of streetlights area of North Las Vegas I live in.

I then, after much research on here and elsewhere upgraded to a Sony DSC-HX5V hoping that it's fancy in camera combination of multiple ISO photos would give me the answer. It did not. I've settled on a T2i, and later a T3i for a while now, but I never quite had enough of the shutter bug to be willing to spend the money. The most recent failure to capture anything interesting of the solar eclipse last week, along with a desire to bring bookou bokeh to my YouTUBE videos, made me finally pull the trigger. Went to B&C Camera in Las Vegas and piked up the T3i with the canon kit lense. I went with my dad who took a few courses in college, and he unfortunately talked me out of spending 100$ more for the kit with the added 18-135mm lense too. It's probably better this way, so I can use the 100$ to buy the Canon 50mm prime lense.

Since I saved some money since he offered to pay part of the cost, anyone have a suggestion for a zoom lense, maybe a superzoom but doesn't have to be, for around 3xx$. I know general consensus is to play with the kit lense until i know what I need, but I want a zoom for lazy photos of people and things on the strip, and I want a decent prime for well-lit photoblogs. But as I write this I googled the person who turned me on to the T2i, and he uses the kit lense so I've lost that excuse. But its 100$ for the Canon 50mm.. grrr I want it anyway. I've been talking too long. Thanks for your help already given over the years and in the future and I know I'll have lots of questions. Mostly I just want to take pretty photos and pictures as an excuse to get my fat butt out of the computer chair and into the fresh air. Below is the setup I want to imitate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeMmohC2cSs&feature=plcp

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow