Finally CIF for Hummingbird BIF... 160 shots for this!

Started May 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
christopherbarran
Contributing MemberPosts: 870Gear list
Like?
Finally CIF for Hummingbird BIF... 160 shots for this!
May 28, 2012

I finally got a CIF setup to work for a hummingbird that visits my yard like clockwork.

It is not as sharp as I would like it. And it is heavily cropped as the longest lens I have at the moment is the 50-135mm f2.8

1. I set up the tripod
2. Camera and lens on tripod, SR off (usually I forget SR on like a noob)
3. Set TAv mode, f5.6 @ 1/1600

4. Aimed in the general direction of the flower and then fine tuned. Center point was just to the right of the flower and in the end I used the AF selector to select the left low AF point to focus on the flower. Once I had focus I changed to MF on the lens and then set the camera to multi-AF
5. Set camera to high speed shooting
6. Set Catch-in-Focus in the menu
7. Remote trigger with shutter locked down

I went about my business and the camera was just silent. I wondered if it was working, then I heard the shutter fire a few times. Seems the wind made the flower sway in and out of focus. I left it for about 30 mins.

I came back to check and out of 160 photos there was only this one with the humming bird in the frame.

Now all I need is a DA* 200, DA * 60-250 or DA* 300

-- hide signature --
 christopherbarran's gear list:christopherbarran's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow