Started May 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
tkelly11
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: EM5 with 100-300mm at Duxford Jubilee Airshow
In reply to markintosh13, May 27, 2012

markintosh13 wrote:

Nice.

I liked the small amount of prop blur, especially on the taxiing P-51.

I liked the Battle of Britain flight framing - nice to see that trio still in the air. I had a great uncle who was a navigator on a Lancaster, and my father flew in them as a photographer in the RCAF.

How did you find the autofocus on the fast-movers?

Thank you, glad you liked them! The battle of britain memorial is always great to see. Interestingly it was a beautiful blue PR XIX Spitfire flying with them today. I am pretty sure its normally something more like a Mk. IX.

Once i changed to C-AF i actually found it to be pretty good (i wasnt expecting that but i recently saw a post on here of some racing dogs using C-AF which looked amazing so thought it was worth a go!). At the start using S-AF on the Typhoon i was pretty useless but by the end with the F-16 i got some shots i was really delighted with even when it was moving at a decent pace. A lot of it is in the panning which is something i am still trying to get better at. At one point the F-16 came by at around 600 knots and i didnt even bother trying but for all its other maneuvers i found the AF to be pretty instantaneous. The biggest challenge was keeping the aircraft in shot as with the 100-300 you can pretty much fill the viewfinder with it which is great when you get it right, but when you dont, you end up with various bits chopped off!

Cheers
Tom

tkelly11's gear list:tkelly11's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow