EM5 with 100-300mm at Duxford Jubilee Airshow

Started May 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
tkelly11
Regular MemberPosts: 150Gear list
Like?
Re: EM5 with 100-300mm at Duxford Jubilee Airshow
In reply to SaltLakeGuy, May 27, 2012

SaltLakeGuy wrote:

With all due respect the Panasonic 100-300OIS is a DOG by comparison to focus lock speeds of the M Zuiko 75-300 lens. I've tried both and ordered a Oly instead. I owned a 100-300 before and while it's IQ is fine (to about 200-230mm) the Oly beats it out there as well. In addition to being physically smaller and lighter and less buily as well. A better match on the OMD. I would have like to have given it a go against a K5 with the all Oly combo. I recently sold a Nikon D7000 which was very similar to that Pentax K5 and frankly it's autofocus was NOT as fast as the OMD's in decent light.

mm, that is an interesting point. The M. Zuiko was a little too expensive for me and i read many good things about the 100-300mm. I have been delighted with it so far. I would say the main issue i felt between the K5 and the EM5 was simply the fact that the viewfinder moves with the focus which i imagine would be at least similar with the Oly. I was just surprised at how much easier a target was to track with the OVF. Probably a pretty obvious point but i have been using only m4/3 cameras these last couple of years and so have tried to learn how to work with both the good and the bad aspects of the format. Once i found the balance of settings, i was getting a far better hit rate by the end compared with the start of the day. I am hoping that this progress might continue next time and i might get even more keepers. Was very happy overall with what i got in the end.

Thanks,
Tom

tkelly11's gear list:tkelly11's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow