My comparasons FF and m4/3 same flowers diffrent lenses

Started May 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Andy Crowe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,550Gear list
Like?
Re: From previous thread
In reply to Peter Nelson, May 27, 2012

Hey Peter, your last thread hit its thread limit so as it's still relevant I'm posting the reply here.

Then, are you saying all pictures of flowers at the lens closest focusing distance are macro shot's? Even when using a standard 50mm f/1.4?
I never knew that.

Well, there's no specific rule about when things become a "macro" shot, but generally if your main subject is something small like a flower that would get called a macro shot, and often lenses like standard 50s are able to focus close enough for some macro work.

Then what about portraits? I always shoot at the minimum focusing distance of the lens when doing a portrait, even with my 1DsMkII and 85mm f/1.2 L lens mounted. I never once read/heard that these portraits are macro's.

Well that lens' minimum focus distance is around 1m so no you wouldn't call that macro.

Anyway for some example m4/3 portraiture here's a couple of shots with the Voigtlander 25mm f0.95, should be similar to what you get with a 50mm at f1.8-2 on FF.

And another from the cheap Olympus 45mm f1.8 showing reasonably shallow DOF.

BTW both the Voigtlander shots were also taken using the built in flash

The Voigtlander reminds me a lot of using my OMs with the Olympus 50mm f1.8, which is something I always missed having.

Obviously an 85mm f1.2 is going to get shallower DOF than that, but it's a pretty hefty and expensive lens, in fact that lens alone costs and weighs around the same as my GX1, Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 and Olympus 45mm f1.8 combined.

Why do you label me a silly troll?

Because you made quite a combative post challenging m4/3 owners to "prove it". You may not have meant to, but it came across that way. Generally more positive posts get better informative replies

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow