Started May 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cgarrard
Forum ProPosts: 14,367Gear list
Like?
Totally Impressed- Canon 5D
May 27, 2012

No, not the II or the III, the original.

For those wanting to get into FF for a bargain price, this is the DSLR to get. To me its one of the best, if not the best, bang for the buck going in DSLR land. Only a couple other cameras are right there with it, and it's a lot better value than the D700 is for still shooters (not a better camera, but better value).

It has few weaknesses, magical image quality, and spacious well organized handling (even like the menu system.

On the verge to buy the D700 (literally 5 minutes from the purchase), I picked up a 5D for the heck of it and immediately liked the size and simplicity of the design more.

The D700 is one hell of a camera, but I figured I saved about 1,200.00 buying one near new getting the 5D and its turned out to be a lot more than just a great deal.

While I liked the 40D and 7D a lot, I didn't have the immediate bond I have with the 5D, nor did it strengthen. And I know being fair it's really hard to compare those cameras as the 5d is a full framer in a different higher end category.

Maybe it was because I've used so many APS-C DSLRS or something that they didn't capture my fascination as a tool, I dunno.

There is a huge list of things I like about the 5D, but what stands out the most is the design, build quality, size, and generally great performance as an all rounder.

I have a brighter focusing screen on order, and a 1.22X magnifier coming to improve the already excellent view in the finder to help with some manual focus lenses I've acquired.

For those wanting to jump into FF, I recommend at least giving the 5D a go, it might be a lot more camera for you than you think than just reading or heresy might give you the impression of.

Carl

http://photographic-central.blogspot.com/

Ironic Misquote: "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude; nothing can help the man with wrong one."
-Thomas Jefferson

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EbayNew
HmmmNew
HmmmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow