Sigma 17-50 OS & Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 OS Good Combo?

Started May 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
victorian squid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,826Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 17-50 OS & Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 OS Good Combo?
In reply to HumphriesBunch, May 27, 2012

Visit the 2 links below on the 50-150 lens. We had quite a discussion on the AF and IQ on this lens.

I too always assumed I'd be buying Canon lenses, even already owning a Sigma 10-20. I had all intentions of getting the EF-S 17-55, but with a price drop on the Sigma 17-50 a few months ago I decided to give it a try. After getting it, the EF-S 17-55 seemed a lot less amazing - in fact a bit big and overpriced. A friend has one and I haven't seen anything at any focal length or f-stop the Sigma can't do.

I've been so impressed with the 17-50 I've been considering the 70-200 f2.8 OS. Then the 50-150 came out, and that is perhaps even more tempting. It looks as if the image quality is better (if MTF charts are to be believed) and indeed, once the OP of the original thread seemed to sort things out, the lens was very sharp indeed. Take a look at all his samples.

Jared Polen did a review of the 50-150 and liked it, but his posted samples (RAW) were anything but sharp. Then again, I don't think they were really good samples to judge by.

Sigma lenses seem to have an AF issue for many folks, and is probably the thing that worries me most - especially when I saw it as a possible problem on the 50-150. Some users here never got their 17-50 working properly. I can say that mine focuses quickly and is bang on every single time.

So yes, the 17-50 and 50-150 look like a match made in heaven. I think they intended it that way! For me I have to decide if I want to go that route or need the extra bit of reach the 70-200 offers (I don't think so). My other escape route would be the Sigma 100 or 150 macro, and really I suppose my dilemma is to figure out which to get first. Of course, I could get both for less than the EF 200 f2.8 L IS. The EF 100 f2.8 L IS macro does figure in still, but it's not as prominent as it once was!

Since I already have the Sigma 10-20 I'd like to replace it with the 8-16 eventually, so I guess I better get busy saving my pennies!

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow