Started May 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
modenaboy
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
First impressions/shots with OM-D
May 27, 2012

I received my OM-D last week, but haven't had much chance to play with it. I plan to use it primarily with a Voigtlander 25mm lens, and it works very well ergonomically with that lens (although the lens is HEAVY!). I also will throw on an autofocus zoom when I take it out casually, so I went out yesterday for a bit with the kit 12-50mm lens.

The camera is very impressive, great feature set, nice menus, and the picture quality seems excellent, and it does well at high ISO. The viewfinder is fantastic, the overlays are clear and informative, and the viewfinder ergos are great. I have a NEX-5N with the optional viewfinder, and while it is higher resolution, I prefer the OM-D viewfinder in actual use,

I really like the IS, it is making it very easy to bang out shots on a moment's notice when you are rushing, and helps on slow shutter. The option to use IS while composing (with the shutter halfway down) is genius, especially in magnify mode.

My only complaint about the camera is ergonomics, it is easy to hit buttons by mistake, and somewhat awkward. I'm sure I'll get used to it though!

Even though the kit zoom doesn't have much aperture, during daylight it is just fine, and the lens is nice and light (yay for all day carrying it), and focuses very fast. I thought I would hate the electronic zoom (I'm a manual control guy), but the manual zoom feel is not so nice, and the electronic zoom is damped very well so I ended up using that. Haven't tried macro yet!

Here's a couple quick shots I took yesterday using the kit zoom.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whacker/7277827650/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/whacker/7277826960/in/photostream

-- hide signature --
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow