Started May 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
russbarnes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,081Gear list
Like?
Dispelling the handheld blur myth.... D800 + 105 VR
May 27, 2012

The more I shoot with the D800, the less I am buying into the notion that increased image blur applies. I just don't see how the same technique that I've used to fabulous success with a camera like the D700 suddenly became impossible to use when the D800 was launched. Of course it hasn't.

And I'm guessing there are plenty of others who agree with me too. I just don't understand some of the comment I've seen about how this is so hard with the D800 with ridiculous comment like "you can only shoot with a tripod", or "you now need ten times the focal length to achieve sharpness". Sloppy technique is sloppy technique - it shows up on any camera, even at 12MP.

Here's an example from today - handheld, PDAF auto-focus, VR on, nice sunny day but only ISO200. This isn't a fluke shot, I'm shooting handheld at least half the time even for subject matter like this... Take a look at the full size image here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/russellbarnes/7280110782/in/photostream

I'm posting this because I'm tired of reading the FUD from people who haven't come near this camera - if your shutter speed is moderate, incredible sharpness is achievable on anything.

Check out the bokeh and sharpness from the Nikon 105 too, I still say it has got to be one of THE lenses to buy for the D800, and it's a bargain by modern day pricing too.

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +3 more
Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow