05-20-12 Annular Solar Eclipse - Under the Ring of Fire!

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
WildImages
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?
Re: 05-20-12 Annular Solar Eclipse - Under the Ring of Fire!
In reply to SiriusDoggy, May 27, 2012

Sirius,

Your video is outstanding. You must have had a tracking device to keep the sun/moon in the viewfinder. Perhaps this was shot through your telescope pictured initially.

I spent a bit of time at the hardware store yesterday trying to come up with PVC fittings that would fit my lens hoods but could not find anything satisfactory. This morning I took the drywall hole cutter and carefully cut a piece of cardboard so that it was essentially a press fit over the end of my 500mm f4 Canon lens hood. A photo of that is here:

I carefully used Emery cloth to sand (yes sand cardboard) to fine size the opening so it would stay in place until I removed it. I then cut another piece of cardboard so that I could sandwich solar film between the two cardboard pieces. A picture of the second piece of cardboard after it had been scored with the drywall hole cutter is here:

Now I can use a rectangular piece of the film and tape it to one side or the other of my sandwich and finally tape the two pieces of cardboard together to make my filter.

I think this should work.

Again, thanks for your guidance on this.

WildImages..> >

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow