Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 15,516Gear list
Like?
Re: The true equivalence of the OM-D+75mm vs Canon 5DIII
In reply to jim stirling, May 27, 2012

jim stirling wrote:

Anders W wrote:

jim stirling wrote:

Anders , I have seen a couple of folks test shots {Rickastro} that look quite convincing mainly at the higher ISO end. Then when I have downloaded RAW files from the test sites which are reasonably controlled { I know there was some change in lighting for the DPreview test though I have not seen the exact difference quoted} , I see only minor differences at low ISO and less than 1 stop at high ISO. And I think the E-M6 may have a wee bit NR even in RAW .

Here are straight crops from the GX1 and the E-M5 first couple at base shadows pushed to max, and 3rd a 6400 ISO comparison.

Yes but those are jpegs that you have pushed, right? Or does Imaging Resources post RAWs for download these days?

No all are RAW files.

There are a number of threads (including, but not limited to the RicksAstro base-ISO thread), aside from the comparison by Jordan Steele that I linked too, that show the same story to my eyes (close to one EV better DR than the GH2 and about 1.5 stops better DR than the G3/G1X at base ISO) so I am pretty sure of where matters stand.

As i say in controlled tests using RAW i see nowhere near that level of difference here are the links to the sample files at imaging resource including RAW. I even think you could probably add a wee bit NR to the GX1 files and still maintain the detail level of the E-M5.

E-M5

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/omd-em5/omd-em5THMB.HTM

GX1
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/GX1/GX1THMB.HTM

I have no problem with being proven wrong as in the end I am a mFT user so any developments will benefit us all in the wrong run.

Jim

Which RAW converter did you use and why did you NR the files? Chroma noise is removed completely here.

Besides, I am pretty sure the two cameras are not in the same order in all three cases. In the first case, the E-M5 sample is to the left. In the other two it is to the right.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow