Auto-ISO Discussion for Those in the Know

Started May 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
baloo_buc
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,582Gear list
Like?
Re: Auto-ISO Discussion for Those in the Know
In reply to Graystar, May 27, 2012

Graystar wrote:

As those who have actually read the manual (and understand how Auto-ISO works) know, Nikon's Auto-ISO implementation is the best one available. Still, I do wonder about a couple of things.

1. Why is there a "Maximum Sensitivity"? Those quick on the draw may say that, obviously, to limit noise in your image. Yes, but think about it...when the Max ISO is reached, the camera will then continue to reduce shutter speed, giving you blur in your image. So is blur more acceptable than noise?? I thought that was a universal "No". You can apply more aggressive noise reduction to an image, but there's nothing you can do about blur that you don't want. So personally, I always want my "Max. Sen." to be the highest available ISO.

How do you guys use Max. Sen.? When has it saved you?

My maximum sensitivity is at ISO 3200, which is the maximum ISO Speed that is not extended. I prefer noise to the blur.

2. Why can you adjust the lower limit? The idea behind the shutter-based ISO is to maintain the lowest ISO possible. So why would you shoot at a higher ISO if it isn't necessary? So personally, I always have my ISO set to the lowest value when using Auto-ISO.

How do you guys use the ISO settings?

I take care to have ISO set as low as possible so I use ISO 200.

Personally, I thought a better way to enable Auto-ISO was to hold the ISO button for 2-3 seconds...just like setting a custom white balance. That would have freed the sub command dial to adjust shutter. Maybe we can all make a suggestion to Nikon on this.

This would be a nice feature. Mine is enable almost all the time so not a big deal but some would find it very useful.

baloo_buc's gear list:baloo_buc's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow