Do I still know how to PP portraits ..... ?

Started May 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
MrScorpio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?
Re: Do I still know how to PP portraits ..... ? MrScorpio
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, May 27, 2012

Hi

But it needs to be said that your photos are to 95% really very good!

BR

Marcus

Aleo Veuliah wrote:
Hi MrScorpio,

I agree, it is tricky, I think your suggestions are good, different look but nice, have to try another approaches, now I am fascinated by this and would like to control the technique well, it is a long learning curve but a pleasant one

I like to use natural light and adapt well the settings on the camera, the angles, the

shadows medium and lights, to what I want to do, usually I use spot mode to measure the points of light I need, a good portrait is not easy, or on some cases is a matter of luck on the moment of taking the picture

Thank you for the opinion, much appreciated

MrScorpio wrote:
Hi Aleo

Portrait PP is really tricky since people have an extremely sensitive approach to skin tones/texture, eye colors, lip shapes etc etc

Personally I would have given a little bit more sharpness to the eye closest to the camera, saturated it a little and added just a tad of more red to her lips. Finally a little more contrast to everything except from her skin.

IMO her hair looks a bit messy, which is not related to your question about pp, but anyway...

It looks like natural light is used for the shot, which is beautiful.

Gorgeous model btw.

BR

Marcus

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

• This image was taken with the 20mm f/1.7, and it is a Panasonic Lumix sample

• I like much this portrait I decided to play a bit on LR4 (with JPEG) and try to improve it giving the minimal possible post processing to not mess much with the original

• I see that still with the "old" 12 megapixels sensor the quality is very good, what is not possible is to compare the same image with the new 16 megapixels sensor, but I would like to see that. Also a comparison between this lens and the PL 25mm f/1.4 will be nice to see, but the 20mm pancake proves to be a very good lens anyway

• Comments welcome on what I could have done better, maintaining the look of the original, I could have saturated more the blue of the eyes or the hair and lips, but I think the closer to the natural look is the best

• First image, my post processing on LR4

• Second, the original from the site only re-sized

(have to find good models to practice, I am going to begin to do some professional work soon and with Micro 4/3, but for now with images for small catalogs)

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow