1dx

Started May 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Guy Lerner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,770
Like?
Re: 1dx
In reply to jdavis37, May 27, 2012

jdavis37 wrote:

I would like to think so given it is right at 2X cost of 5D3 but I think this will be more like approaching an asymptote. Plus seems 1D-X does not offer a silent mode from readinig ( this could be wrong). The 5D3 silent mode is a good thing.

You are correct. 1DX does offer a 'silent' mode but it's nowhere near as silent as the 5D3 - in fact when I tested it the 1DX silent was louder than the normal 5D3 shutter! The 5D3 silent shutter is my favourite feature on the camera, which says a lot given it now has the same (yes folks, the SAME) AF module as the 1DX.

I've shot with the 5D3.. is an amazing camera body. Hopefully when 1D-X is released it will be as bug free and liked as well as 5D3.

I think the only mistake Canon made with the 5D3 is releasing it before the 1DX. I've now shot both (pre-production 1DX, and I own two 5D3 bodies) and I have zero lust for the 1DX. If I needed 12FPS or to shoot in a war zone, yes, the 1DX is probably a better tool, but I don't, and the 5D3 delivers everything else (plus slightly better resolution) at half the price.

PS. The 1DX has exactly the same viewfinder as the 5D3, so if you've tried the 5D3 and are sitting in hope the 1DX will be different, don't hold your breath. Yes the black focus squares are an irritant, especially when using servo, but the 1DX does nothing to change that so unless Canon is working on an update, that's what we're getting with this generation of camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
1dxNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow