Veteran MemberPosts: 3,218
Like?
Re: what's the difference between...
In reply to AnandaSim, May 27, 2012

AnandaSim wrote:

the devil himself wrote:

and which one should i use?

http://oopoomoo.com/2012/02/raw-vs-jpeg-take-the-quiz/

Very nice, short article on the difference between shooting raw and shooting jpeg, and why shooting raw plus jpeg usually compromises one or both.

My favorite quote from the article:

Most photo journalists only shoot in JPEG, not only for concerns about immediate deadlines, but also for veracity — the image was captured in-camera and not subjectively massaged in raw conversion software.

I'm no photojournalist, just an amateur who takes pictures to help me remember a place or event, but the "veracity" aspect is still important to me. Using GaryDeM's image parameter setup procedure and shooting jpeg leaves me confident that I'm getting a reasonably close approximation of the original scene. Once I start fiddling with a raw image, I may end up with something that looks nice, but I don't trust it as much. As the article also says, "When we are shooting for ourselves and want the flexibility to process our images according to our artistic vision [emphasis added], we shoot in raw format."

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow