18-55mm image quality

Started May 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Richt2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,897Gear list
Like?
Re: 18-55mm image quality
In reply to FrankGr, May 27, 2012

Hi Frank,
Its good from 18-35 at around f8 for sharpish corner performancce.
Its actually a very good kit lens, better than any Canon non-L consumer lenses.

Ive compared it to the 19mm Sima and 24 Zeiss, and for shooting at f8 there is not a huge amount of difference except in the extreme corners (last 50 pixels or so)

Where the kit is really bad is at the long end, and especially wide open. Youd get better results holding a pint glass next to the sensor! The 50/1.8 is a stella lens for the money.

The other option is to buy a metabones or cheapo adapter and use your L glass. I use the 17-40L on the nex 7 and it is a brilliant performer, all be it a little large...

FrankGr wrote:

Hi,

I am having a hard time getting what I'd consider optimum image quality from my new 5n with 18-55 kit lens.

Firstly, I should establish that I use a Canon 5DII with prime L lenses so my standards or expectations are high. And I've been a photographer for a long, long time.

Yes, I know I cant have the same image quality but I do have two problems I'd like to ask about:

1. what do experienced users consider the 'sweet spot' aperture for this lens - f8? Before diffraction becomes an issue. I am just not getting very sharp images and

I have a hard time with how slow the lens is (f5.6) but I guess I have to suck it up if I want all the auto benefits of a lens dedicated to the camera

2. I get a lot of optical distotion with horizontal & vertical lines (building walls, light poles etc) towards the edges of the frame. I have the menu set to automatically compensate.

Any tips, advice, links?
Thanks
Frank

Richt2000's gear list:Richt2000's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow