Who has switched to Mac - was it worth it?

Started May 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JediLight
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?
Who has switched to Mac - was it worth it?
May 27, 2012

I am thinking of switching to Mac. Here is my reasoning. I suspect it is slightly flawed, but interested in comments from people who have mulled over the same things.

I am fairly techy. I am doing more and more post processing (recent nikon D800 purchaser). The key thing I need now is a large monitor (27inch +). However, this will need to live in my kitchen / diner and hence has to look the part to be considered an acceptable addition....

This therefore has led me to the 27inch iMac - probably wait till the product is updated, which rumours have it will be in the next few weeks. This appears to be a better option than a tower under the dining room table with a cheaper large monitor on the table (not going to be aesthetically acceptable). Also, the more I look, the more it appears that the imac is a pretty good bit of kit and the higher spec looks as good as a mac book pro.

Here is the issue, I expect I will end up dual booting to windows and running it in windows mode most of the time. I already have lightroom, CS4 Premium Production, Photomatix, Office, etc etc all for windows. All of which I will need to use.

Is there any performance defecit for running windows, dual boot on the mac. Would applications run faster in OS X?

Thanks for your thoughts...

JediLight's gear list:JediLight's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow